Active Shield Prompts
You can disable Active Shield pop-ups by turning off all security warnings in the McAfee Security Center. You can’t remove pop-ups linked to your subscription via SecurityCenter. Nonetheless, McAfee uses Windows Notification for all of its pop-ups, so you can mask all alerts from McAfee by modifying the Windows notification settings. Because alerts are an essential part of the McAfee defense system, you can’t disable them. You can monitor which type of warning appears (for example, you can mask informative alerts) and set up simple alert actions.
On Windows OS, you can control the notifications by making changes under the Notifications and Actions screen. You can either turn all notifications off or select specific apps.
Read more about web shields and why is it worth using them in this article.
How To Get Rid Of The Browser Extensions
With McAfee, you get the dedicated browser extension called McAfee WebAdvisor. This extension works seamlessly with Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. The extension works real-time and monitors your online activity, warning you about potentially weak passwords and infected downloads.
The core-antivirus scans your device downloads for malware, irrespective of the extension. Moreover, extensions can take over the default search engine and set it to custom or another 3rd party. If you want to get rid of this problem, we recommend that you disable or remove the browser extension.
In Google Chrome, remove it by doing the following:
1) Open the browser (Chrome, IE, Firefox)
2) Click on the setting menu > More Tools > Extensions
3) On the Extensions page, select the McAfee WebAdvisor > Trash
In Firefox, open the Menu settings and click on Add-ons. On the new tab, select McAfee WebAdvisor and click on Disable. In Internet Explorer, open the Menu Settings, then click on Toolbars and Extensions. On the new tab, select McAfee WebAdvisor and click on Disable.
Alternatively, you can uninstall the extension from the Control Panel. On Windows devices, go to System Settings > Apps and Features. Then select the product and click on Uninstall. If needed, restart the device.
If you want to keep a few alerts and disable the rest, you might find the options under the settings of the software. To tweak these settings, follow these steps:
1) Load the Dashboard of McAfee.
2) Go to the top-right corner and click on Navigation
3) On the next tab, click on General Settings and Alerts
4) Select Informational Alerts and Protection Alerts to manually turn off pop-ups.
a. Check the boxes to receive alerts
b. Uncheck to stop receiving alerts.
5) Click OK to save your changes.
If alerts keep disturbing your gaming experience, check out our recommendations for the best antivirus for gamers.
Hide Firewall Prompts
McAfee allows you to customize firewall prompts. McAfee doesn’t offer an advanced firewall feature and is just an add-on for the existing Windows Firewall. You can turn it off and rely on the default firewall.
You can force notifications for individual apps when they connect to the internet. Alternatively, you can turn it off completely and let the antivirus take care of it.
You can turn off the Smart Advice feature by doing the following:
1) Open the McAfee dashboard.
2) Home > Manage Security
3) Next, click on Web and Email Protection, then select Firewall
4) Click on expand to open the additional settings menu.
5) Select Enable Smart Advice to stop firewall notifications permanently.
Want to know how effective firewalls really are? Find out in this article.
What to Do if None of These Solutions Work
If you still receive notifications, here are some additional options that you can pursue:
1) Uninstall The Program – You can remove the McAfee antivirus from the system completely. Use the Control Panel to locate the product and click Uninstall on Windows OS.
2) Use The McAfee Removal Tool – You must download this tool from the official website. Run it after uninstalling McAfee to trace and remove any leftover files or components.
We recommend that you try the alternatives before uninstalling the product completely from your system. While constant pop-ups can be annoying, hiding all of them means you’ll lose out on the important updates. Make sure that you tweak the settings to receive important notifications and alerts.